Tuesday, May 3, 2011

With all due respect

Yup - that amalgamation of words has extreme power, and privilege. I love interviews where the person answering begins their answer with "all due respect" - because I can paraphrase the shit out of what comes next. I don't even need to hear it. I could mute the TV or computer and still guess as to what was implied, meant or intimated. Here it is in shorthand - Fuck you and your opinion.

Liberating, huh?

I wonder what the rules are for utilizing this gem of a phrase? In other words, how far can somebody take it?
For example, if I was talking to my boss and said, "but sir, with all due respect your idea is so fucked off you couldn't color that bitch with a crayon" would that be perceived as acceptable in common circles of society?

Perhaps if the crayon comment wasn't there?

No comments:

Post a Comment