Friday, May 13, 2011

Demi Jr. replacing Charlie????

I love me some Two and a Half Men. My nephews turned me on to it 5 years ago, and believe it or not it was the only show they watched as a "family". For 30 minutes the 4 of them were all in the same place at the same time focusing their attention on the same media. Why?

I like to think it's because the writing has an unlimited amount of sexual innuendos - you know the tongue in cheek type shit that resonates funny to both the adult mind and at the same time a child's adolescent sensibilities?

The two nephews say Charlie is the cooler of the two TV personalities, but Alan (Jon Cryer's character) is the better actor. I suppose there is some truth in that statement, although I grew up watching Three's Company and in my opinion Cryer is John Ritter lite. That isn't to say he isn't great, but Jack Tripper was the original and always will be. I'm guessing someone older than myself will tell me who John Ritter patterned himself after in the near future. Until then I stand by my opinion.

Over the past few months Charlie Sheen has made an even larger name for himself, stirring controversy and self promoting his war with show creator Chuck Lorre. Lawsuits have been filed and names have been called in a very public feud.

Just when it appeared that CBS boss man Les Moonves had grown a pair, and Charlie was to be brought back to the show we find that Demi Jr. (Ashton Kutcher) has signed on to replace Charlie's character.

Well, not totally replace him, I read Demi Jr's character will be written into the show as an addition to the household, with Cryer's character assuming a larger role. How many times can a goofy middle aged guy fuck a valley soccer mom and burn down her house????

What will be interesting is the story line that either kills or leaves Charlies character available to return at some point. Why?

Because Demi Jr. is just not that compelling. I can hardly watch the dudes commercials. However, it might just work to his benefit.

Bruce Willis was on TV, then married Demi. Bruce went on to become one of the biggest actors in Hollywood doing action movies, and tough guy roles (his cameo in Oceans' 12 notwithstanding).

Then he divorced Demi who married Ashton. You would think Bruce would break off a call to his babydaddy and let him know he is headed into sitcom obscurity. But stranger things have happened, and Mr. Moore may become the next Rob Lowe - not likely.

But, Hollywood is a strange place and entertainment types, not unlike Charlie Sheen himself, continue to fail upwards. I love Charlie and will buy diet tonic water if he slings it, and I hate tonic water.

I predict the first episode of next season's Two and a Half Men will be off the charts. Everybody will tune in wanting to know what happened to Charlie. Then, as the weeks go by (even if there isn't an NFL season) the audience will fall off. The time slot will be screwed with and eventually CBS will be forced to bring Charlie back or cancel the show altogether.

Personally, I hope Fox signs Charlie to do a show during the same time slot. Then I can quit pausing my DVR to read Lorre's vanity cards.

Happy Friday the 13th........

No comments:

Post a Comment