Sunday, May 1, 2011

The power of one dollar

In economic times like these, especially out here in Southern California, the need to stretch dollars is at an all time high. Fuel prices are almost 5 bucks a gallon and we are still 3 weeks from the official summer driving season. Everything is more expensive with no real end in sight.

Dollar bills are becoming irrelevant because they don't have much buying power. What can you get for a dollar today? A soda from a machine. A small candy bar. In other words, not much.

Fast food chains have dollar menus which after tax is well over a buck. However, a single dollar can still change a life.

I have a soft spot for homeless folks. Not these cats that camp at the freeway off ramps, parking lot exits or other places where the public is forced to stop. Nope, those guys can fuck off.

It's impossible for me to feel any sympathy for a dude with a clean shave and khaki shorts on (empathy does come to mind though) holding a sign that says "Broke" or "Desperate" or "Homeless". Bitch, if you need a sign to tell me how fucked your life is, you are a walking contradiction (see also oxymoron).

The compelling homeless are the guys who say nothing. Very rarely does anybody get my dollar bills who solicits it. I like the strong, silent hobo approach.

Some dude outside of a drug store asked me for change, on the way in. I told him, "dude, everybody today has plastic, and I'm on the way in". Far be it from me to explain the rules to a professional, but I didn't make them. But, I did get some cash back from my purchase, and slipped the guy a few bucks.

Sure, he violated my policy. But there is another side to this story. A side that few acknowledge and even less experience. The feeling one gets when helping another human being.

I can be having a shit day and, if given the opportunity will change my mental state by forking over a few bucks to an unsuspecting homeless guy. Beats the shit out of a McDouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment