Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Freedom of Speech

The US Supreme Court rendered its decision today that religious zealots can hold hate signs proximal to funeral proceedings for anyone, including dead US servicemen and women. The First Amendment is one of the tenets that separates the US from oh, let's say the Taliban, or Iran, or, well you get the idea. However, and this should be noted, a constitutional right does not guarantee one that a punch in the face is not forthcoming. In other words a religious guy may be allowed to hold a sign at my dead brothers funeral as is his right. His sign can extol his personal hate message and he is constitutionally protected to be able to exercise this right. On the same token, I also have some rights. I have the right to punch that guy with the sign in the face. I have the right to stomp his skull. I have the right to belittle him as I kick him in the groin. There are consequences for being stupid, and although the universe doesn't always get even thank God we have the ability to reason and opposing thumbs so any one of us can make a fist and exercise our freedom of expression.

No comments:

Post a Comment